Thursday, December 25, 2008

Not so much a white Christmas as a brown one

It's actually already the morning of the 26th here, but we had a great (albiet nontraditional) Christmas. We were treated to a huge lunch complete with turkey and cranberry sauce at the Boat Club, which is a members-only place here in Karachi. My Dad, Rabia, Malika, Mohammed, my sister, Nick and I were joined by some of my favorite people: my cousin Alishba and her family, along with the Hameeds. (Hameeds:Niazis::Solomons:Pittses)

My Dad has known Pervaiz Hameed since [seemingly] the dawn of time, and he and his amazing wife, Aneesa, have two married daughters (and now, two grandchildren!). Jalayne and I pretty much grew up bouncing around with the girls at all times, and their family has now bloomed into this crazy international mishmosh of characters. The parents split their time between London and Karachi; Sadia, their youngest, has settled in D.C. with her Iranian husband; and Gheela, their eldest, is married to a Brit and lives most of the year in Christchurch, New Zealand, with side jaunts to Africa to support Richard's work as a cultural anthropologist. Crazy, I tell you!

So anyway, a very nontraditional Christmas for the Pitts family, but a day spent with loved ones regardless. Merry Christmas, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment