Monday, December 15, 2008

Technical difficulties and other adventures in transit

Greetings from Dubai! As I type this, Nick and I are parked in the Arrivals Hall (better seating, according to the online reviews I read before we left) and are both typing merrilly away on our laptops. Free wireless internet is always welcome in any language, especially when you can't get a signal on your iPhone.

I think we managed to leave the house without forgetting anything major (on our last international trip -- to Costa Rica -- our departure date fell one day after we closed on and moved into our new home; we were so harried and disorganized that I managed to lock us out of the house on our way to O'Hare). Big ups to our friend Brendan for loading our four (!) suitcases into the car and shuttling us to the airport.

MKE-ATL was completely uneventful. I learned that I do not like Woman's Day magazine -- I had been gifted with a few back issues that I'd saved for this trip under the erroneous assumption that Something To Read is a good thing. Not so much. They promptly found their way into the onboard recycling bin.

We had about two hours to kill in Hotlanta, and spent much of that time eating what I like to call the Last [American] Supper at that bastion of chain dining rooms, TGIFriday's.

Notice the very empty plates and the two Bud Lights on draft:














Except for the tiny seats and lack of leg room, our 14-hour flight wasn't too bad. We had our own TVs, on which you could either watch movies and American TV (Nick was happy to see his buddy Dwight)...






...OR you could track your way to Mecca. Are we there yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment